Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Be kind and considerate to others.

Ever since I started walking again, I've been going out and doing a lot more things. Trying to make up for lost time, I suppose. This post is on how things have changed and how I view things as of now.

We'll start this off with handicap parking. I never really thought that people could be so rude until all of this happened. I remember one time when I was trying to leave physical therapy and a lady parked in the no parking spot right infront of the wheelchair ramp so I couldn't get off of the sidewalk. When she came out she said, "Oops, sorry! Didn't think there would be anyone that really needed this ramp." And she was a nurse at the dentist office right next to my physical therapy place. There's people always coming and going, using that ramp. Besides the fact that she was inconsiderate, you can't park there anyways! Which brings me to my next irritation. I went to Tilted Kilt to see some friends, parked in handicap of course, and as I got to my mama's truck, there was a motorcycle parked right next to my door! I couldn't even get in the truck. Again, you can't park there. It doesn't matter if you have a motorcycle or a car, you cannot park there. I park in those spots for a reason. My walker can't fit between cars so I park next to the spaces that you can't park in so that I can fit.

Sorry for my little rant, it just really frustrates me when people think they can just do whatever they want. Without thinking about how it might effect other people. Enough about handicap parking, on to the next subject.

I use a walker. Mainly because I'm still learning how to walk again and I'm not the most stable person. I walk a little funny still, but I'm still trying to get the hang of it. I love walking, I really do. It's amazing! I don't love people staring at me though. It makes me feel uncomfortable. Though, I just brush it off. They're probably just wondering what happened. If I was in their shoes, I'd be curious too!

I've got to HEB and people behind me get mad because I walk slow. Or they run into me with their carts and don't even have the decency of saying "Sorry!". They just keep on going. I went to the mall and people did the same exact thing. While I was at Tilted Kilt and I was trying to leave, instead of people being nice and making a path for me, they decided to just stare at me. They didn't even budge a little. So I folded up my walker and held onto my mama. As I walked past them they would say, "Wow, hope you get better!". If you noticed that I couldn't walk very good, why wouldn't you just move over a few inches so that I could make my way through?

Enough about all the mean people. I've encountered a lot of very generous people! People that go out of their way to make sure I can get by. Or being really patient letting me walk by, even if they're in a hurry. It's people like them that make me feel better. I went to Salt Grass to have dinner with my mama, and I was trying to open the bathroom door, the bartender completely dropped everything that she was doing just to open the door for me. She said, "I've had 4 knee surgeries, I know what you're going through and I wish you the best of luck!". Just a kind person to a stranger. It always makes my day a million times better when I run into a random act of kindness.

I think that we could all do a little more to help out others. Even if it's something small and simple. It could make all the difference in the world to someone.

Throw a stranger an unexpected smile.

Xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment